The Bromley Forum

Discuss life in London's Bromley. Talk about local restaurants, pubs, shops, services, transport, planning, it's up to you

Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera: Who is the better performer?

mrthought

Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera: Who is the better performer?

Post  mrthought on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:56 pm

When you are blessed with a voice in the league of Mariah Carey's, as Christina Aguilera is, there really can be no doubt as to who is the better performer. Britney Spears' cotton candy pop voice may be the favourite of many, but Christina's amazing vocal range and passion wins it for me, hands down. Even if you CAN manage to pull off a dance routine in a skin-tight red PVC cat-suit and vertical blonde wig, it still doesn't even come close to Christina singing Fighter or Voice within.

Christina is in a completely different league of performer than Britney. Rolling Stone magazine rated her as number 58 in their 100 Greatest Singers of All Time. Her name is firmly up there with such amazing performers as Cher, Tina Turner, Beyonce, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston. These are the singers Christina will be compared to in years to come. In twenty years time, will people still be talking about Britney's mimed performance on the Xfactor? Somehow I just can't see it.

While you can't take away the fact that Britney is a successful performer in her own right, that is where any comparisons should stop. Not only does Christina have an amazing voice, she is also a more musically rounded performer. While Britney will always be known for her sickly sweet pop, with the odd pop ballad thrown in, Christina Aguilera has managed to go from the pop edged Genie, to the soulful ballads Beautiful and Hurt. She's given us the rock fuelled Fighter and the hip hop flavours of Dirrty and the remake of the 1975 Labelle classic, Lady Marmalade. Britney meanwhile has brought us ‘Lucky’ and ‘Toxic’. Good songs to play to your ten year old pop-crazy daughter, but not classics that will last the test of time.

Christina has constantly showed the different sides to her personality and the struggles of her life through her songs. Her music and her performances speak of hurt and heartache, joy and passion. We all relate to Beautiful. We understand the struggles with her father through her childhood through ‘Oh Mother’ and I'm OK. Whereas Britney Spears has allowed us to see her public and private self through her many antics in the media. If we were judging performances off stage, then Britney may be in the running for best performer, with her hair shaving and crazy driving-with-my-chil d-on-my-lap stunts. When it comes to best performer on stage though, it seems Christina is lasting the distance. With her newest single ‘You lost me’ soaring up the charts and five Grammy awards under her belt, there really is no contest.

Fred Perry
    cheap diamond perth

Current date/time is Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:34 pm